When successful people begin to feel uncertain or challenged at work, the one thing they want to know most is why things are going wrong after they have gone right for so long.
Leaders tend to rise to their positions relying on a specific set of values and traits. But in time, every executive reaches a point when their performance suffers. Very few understand why or how to prevent it.
In her new book, The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness, Lolly Daskal presents a system for harnessing the virtues of your leadership style. In this episode, Jesse and Lolly discuss how leaders embody seven archetypes and how each archetype has powerful abilities and hidden impediments:
- The Rebel, driven by confidence; and the Imposter, plagued by self-doubt.
- The Explorer, fueled by intuition; and the Exploiter, master of manipulation.
- The Truth Teller, embraces candor; and her twin, the Deceiver, who creates suspicion.
- The Hero, embodies courage; and the Bystander, a coward if there ever was one.
- The Inventor, brimming with integrity; and the Destroyer, is morally corrupt.
- The Navigator, trusts and is trusted; and the Fixer, endlessly arrogant.
- The Knight, for whom loyalty is everything; and the Mercenary, who is perpetually self-serving.
As founder and CEO of Lead From Within, Lolly Daskal has three decades of experience as an executive coach, speaker, and author. Her proprietary leadership program helps leaders enhance performance and make a meaningful difference in their companies, their lives, and the world. Her writing has appeared in HBR, Inc.com, Fast Company (Ask The Expert), Huffington Post, Psychology Today, and others. American Management Association called her the Leader to Watch, and the Huffington Post named Lolly the most inspiring woman in the world.
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Book: The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness
- Website: www.lollydaskal.com
- Self-Assessment: To learn about what gets between you and your greatness today
- Twitter: @LollyDaskal
- LinkedIn: /Lolly Daskal
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also email comments to Jesse at firstname.lastname@example.org, subscribe to him on Facebook, or follow him on Twitter.